Whatever your role may be, at some point or another you’ll need to print from QuickBooks. I’m not sure why but it seems like when you need it the most, an issue always arises such as a QuickBooks printing problem. For example, a time crunch when you’re attempting to run payroll but QuickBooks won’t print checks. Another example may be a time when you’re running to a board meeting but QuickBooks freezes when printing. Although frustrating some other common QuickBooks printing problems include QuickBooks printing problems with invoices or QuickBooks Enterprise failing to print.
Not to worry. Like our other articles, our team has done our research and can help you answer ‘Why is my QuickBooks not printing?’ and the top troubleshooting tips to fix your QuickBooks printing problems.
Why is my QuickBooks Not Printing?
Every printer and PC setup is unique so there can be many different reasons why you’re experiencing QuickBooks printing problems. Some possible reasons why you’re running into QuickBooks printing problems can include:
- The printer is turned off
- The paper tray is empty
- The printer could be offline
- There has been a change or system update to the printer
- An incorrect QuickBooks application re-installation
How to Fix QuickBooks Printing Problems
Before even beginning to troubleshoot your QuickBooks printing problems, you should always check the following settings:
- Ensure your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release
- Ensure your computer is connected to your printer
- Ensure your print driver is updated to the latest release
- Confirm you can print outside of QuickBooks
Next, Intuit recommends you download and install their QuickBooks Tool Hub to continue to fix your QuickBooks printing problems. To do so, follow these Intuit provided instructions:
- Close QuickBooks.
- We recommend you download the most recent version (220.127.116.11) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop). Note: If you’ve already installed Tool Hub before, you can find out which version you have. Select the Home tab. The version will be displayed on the bottom right or you can select About to view the version.
- Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the install finishes, double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
- Select the Program Problems tab to resolve common PDF and printing related issues.
- Once done, try to print again.
If the QuickBooks Tool Hub doesn’t fix your QuickBooks printing problems, you can also try manually renaming the QBPrint.QBP file. To do so, follow these Intuit provided instructions:
First start by locating the QBPrint.qbp.
Windows 10, 8.1, and 8: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx
(20xx represents the version of your QuickBooks.)
- Right-click the QBprint.qbp file for your QuickBooks version and select Rename.
- Add the word old to the file name (i.e. QBPrint.qbp.old)
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- From the File menu, select Printer Setup.
- Select any transaction in the Form Name list and select OK. This will create a new QBprint.qbp file.
Note: You don’t have to do this for every transaction.
- Try to open and print any transaction.
Avoid QuickBooks Printing Problems and Print from any Shared User’s Device with Qbox!
Most QuickBooks printing problems are local PC configuration or application issues. If you had Qbox installed in the case above where QuickBooks won’t print checks, you could move to a shared user’s computer and print from their device. The same could be said if a team member was running into QuickBooks printing problems with invoices or if QuickBooks freezes when printing. To learn more, visit https://www.qboxplus.com/how-qbox-works/